[ZWeb] Feedback Please!

Casey Duncan c.duncan@nlada.org
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 10:42:32 -0500

On Friday 07 December 2001 06:58 am, Paul Everitt allegedly wrote:
[snip]

> I have one that falls under "preparation".  Namely, we take a dry run on
> how this is all going to happen.

My concern is that it is hard enough to get people to make real
contributions, let alone "test" contributions. I think we just need a BDFL of
zope.org who can veto changes deemed to radical or that need to be rolled out
in stages rather than all at once. This person I assume would be a ZC'er.
Perhaps a counterpart in the community could keep the hordes under control
8^) and coordinate a bit.

We should nominate someone: Seb?

> Tres says that Martijn will take the new.zope.org CVS stuff and move it
> to a place where others can do checkins without executing a CVS
> contributor agreement.

Sounds very good.

> Once this is in place, people can do a checkout and tinker with
> new.zope.org on their own system.  We should then go through the process
> of getting a short list of people to make a short list of changes, then
> cycle everybody's changes into new.zope.org.
>
> These changes would be very minor, non-disruptive, non-controversial,
> pre-agreed-upon changes.  The goal wouldn't be the change.  Rather, the
> goal would be to test our ability to work collaboratively.

As long as the changes mean something, I can agree to this.

> At the same time, we can setup a skin folder to allow mockups and
> templating of new work.
>
> > Do you agree?  Which one would you like to concentrate on?  I suggest
> > you pick one, and then start summarising any discussions we've had so
> > far from on the lists, etc.  Look through the archives too.  Then look
> > at the people who've expressed an opinion and see if they've committed
> > time, and build a list of potential supporters.
>
> I propose that anybody proposing an item needs to agree to be the
> shepherd for that item.  Being a shepherd needs to be some work:
>
>    o Write up a quick proposal and put it in the wiki
>
>    o Setup an IRC appointment
>
>    o Put a log of the IRC session in the Wiki
>
>    o Report back to us on what's planned to be done
>
> > I'm most interested in ZopeOrgReorg, so I'll be looking at that later
> > today.  If that's your interest, let me know and we can collaborate more
> > closely. Each area should have a community project leader, a ZC
> > 'client', and then supporters as required (designers, coders).

+1

> Sounds good.
>
> --Paul

I'm interested in improving the fishbowl and ZopeOrgReorg. I have another
site I am working on that has this concept of a workgroup model. Perhaps I
can develop this and somehow incorporate it into the fishbowl process. It
seems to fit in with this whole sheparding idea.

I think I will be bouncing between core and web contributions depending on
needs, perhaps I can just be a floater and be on call for whatever thing
needs more resources. Or I could help coordinate sharing of ideas and code
between contributors. Or help others take full advantage of the architecture.

Since I have volunteered to help with the Zope News content, perhaps my time
could be utilized as a feedback mechanism back to the community. To wrap up
developments and make announcements. I could also write documentation or help
develop requirements (did I say that?) where applicable.

I never said focus was my strong point! I have found that I am best used
spread out over multiple things (but not as a manager, per se).

  Casey Duncan, Sr. Web Developer
  National Legal Aid and Defender Association
  c.duncan@nlada.org