[ZWeb] HELP: Taking over a piece of software

Paul Everitt paul@zope.com
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 17:06:16 -0500

Howdy.  Here's a call for help that is concrete and involves managing
software.  It's a creampuff of an opportunity to contribute on new.zope.org.

Here's the deal.  Pretend the current new.zope.org winds up being the
starting point for the ultimate new.zope.org (we'll know more tomorrow).
  There's a piece of software used that is similar to Redirector, but
not quite the same thing.  It was written to solve specific problems for
migrating old zope.org content to new zope.org.

We need someone to pick this up and maintain it as part of the new
zope.org, again, presuming we continue along this path.

Here's a rough description from Andreas Jung (the author) and Martijn
Pieters (who's currently sitting on the egg):

"""
- Redirector is placed at the base of the URL to be redirected. If
   you want to redirect /foo/bar/*, you create a 'bar' Redirector
   in Folder 'foo'.

- Rewriter will be placed in the root folder, and is considered
   a service.   It'll maintain a tree of URLs to redirect. When
   a redirect is needed, the service is directky invoked
   (via __call__) and the rewriter will deduce from the
   REQUEST object what the requested URL was and invoke that
   URL. The idea is to make this call from standard_error_message.

So for a site with lots of redirects, lots of Rewriters need to be
instantiated. Rewriter let's you manage this centrally, but it
needs to be invoked explicitely from standard_error_message.
"""

So, the ideal solution is for someone to pick this software up, figure
out how it works, and release it as a Zope Product.

--Paul