[ZWeb] Re: zope.org wiki tinkering

Ken Manheimer klm@zope.com
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 16:23:10 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, i wrote:

> There's actually another cost - recataloging the whole page just for a
> subscription change - that makes this seem to be an abuse of the catalog.
> I think i have a bit more hacking to do - i'm inclined to stem this abuse
> early, before use is widespread.  If wiki pages used subscription
> instances as delegates, instead of as mixins, then just the delegate could
> be recataloged on subscription change, much reducing the catalog churn.
> I'm not sure this will significantly reduce the time to subscribe, but it
> should much reduce the contribution to catalog growth.

I took the simpler route.  Instead of changing over to the delegation
approach (which is kinda ugly), i put the subscriptions in a separate
catalog.  This takes some load off of the primary site catalog (turns out
to be a lot quicker, though i would have thought that only the subscribers
index in either catalog was updated, which should mean about the same
amount of records churn?).  Perhaps more importantly, it would translate
more nicely to some CMFish new.zope.org arrangement, where the
subscription info really shouldn't be a property of the content.

Anyway, if anyone had page subscriptions, the subscriptions will remain,
but the cataloging of them will be lost.

So far i've seen no problems (besides the slowness, which may be a lot
smaller), so later today i'm going to expose the subscriptions link for
all wiki pages on the site...

--
Ken
klm@zope.com