[ZWeb] Re: [Zope] Come kick some tires, at new.zope.org

Paul Everitt paul@zope.com
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 20:47:37 -0400

Joachim Werner wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Please let somebody do some real web design for the site before it goes
> online. I am sure you'll even find people who'll do that for free. The
> current design is not competitive at all.
>
> Look at all the new CMF sites that are emerging in the community, like
> ZopeZen, MetaZope, or Zopera. They are all different in design, but IMHO
> much better than the current one for the new zope.org.

I agree, we need to address this before launching.  We don't necessarily
need to address it before getting the first test drive of the migration
going, but I do agree that the transition will be considered a setback
if the appearance and usability go from bad to worse.

I also agree that designs such as Andy's at ZopeZen and Alex's at
MetaZope have a lot to offer.  What's the right way for us to include
the effort of others?  Do these folks have the time to take a leadership
role in improving the situation?  Does anybody have the bandwidth in the
next few weeks to devote about half of their time to participating?

What other things need to be done?  For instance, should we have the
equivalent of a bug day where everybody reports problems that need
fixing and suggestions for improvements?

--Paul