[ZWeb] Another try

Ken Manheimer klm@zope.com
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 10:38:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Magnus Heino wrote:

> > Here is a modest try to put spotlight on the spotlight version...
> >
> > http://www.nidecker.net/zope.org/v4_1_4e
>
> There is no obvious element for your eyes to focus on when you load that page.
> All you see is loads of text....
>
> imho, and I think that is what Ken is saying too?

That's _exactly_ it.  Here's what *i* think is going on.

For people acquainted with the organization of the page, the contrast of
the blue text in the sidebar versus the black text for the main text is
sufficient to sustain the structure.  However, for people *not* knowing
what to expect, it's a big bunch of text - particularly if this page is
one of many that they're seeing.

Maybe i'm going overboard, but i think there's a real danger that this is
the kind of thing that is good for insiders, but rebuffs everyone else as
"geeks only".  And i think that some moderate but more definite contrast
between the areas would resolve this problem.

I don't particularly like the color of the background stipple that i took
from the "spotlight" section, in v4_1_4d (and andrew said the stipple is
invisible on his LCD, so it's not sufficient), but i do like the
understated quality while providing some distinction, and that's what i'm
trying to request of the design.

In fact, aside from the color, i really do like v4_1_4d - and it's 99%
what olivier did, with just some strategic provision for the concerns
above.

--
Ken
klm@zope.com