[ZWeb] Zope.org feedback: Zope Documentation

R. David Murray bitz@bitdance.com
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 07:41:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 14 Apr 2002, alan runyan wrote:
> Turning to the ZOPE Book.  Which you basically have to read an entire
> chapter.  because there are no further units besides chapters.  People want
> to find out about metal:block.  for instance, how do they do that?  read the
> entire PageTemplates chapter?
>
> I have always wanted to see a Zope version of:
> http://www.php.net/manual/en/
> http://www.commandprompt.com/ppbook/
> http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/
>
> compare those layouts to:  http://www.zope.org/Documentation/ZopeBook/

Back in the old days when I worked with IBM mainframes, each subsystem
came with at least two (thick) manuals: the User's Guide, and the
Reference.  The User's Guide was for learning in a topical fashion
about how to do stuff with the subsystem.  The Reference was for
getting a complete list of all the possible commands and their
detailed syntax and semantics.

The Zope Book is a User's Guide.  The Help system is supposed to be
the Reference, but it is incomplete.

Of course, the Zope Book still needs subsections <grin>.

--RDM