[ZWeb] Zope.org feedback: Documentation

alan runyan alan runyan" <runyaga@runyaga.com
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 00:24:28 -0500

> I think the documentation for zope is still very poor. There is no
function index nor any solid examples. I have been using zope for some time
now and it hell to have to find info about 'hidden' details of zope/python
function.

solid examples?  I think you are being a bit rash.  I believe ZOPELABS,
Examples folder in Zope2.5.1, and the plethora of ZOPE Books provide plenty
of examples.

I use to think this is the case.  but I didnt know Python well enough.  I
would almost guarantee this distressed being is someone who
has not given into python and bought a book nor uses his python interpreter
religiously.

> I suggest we all a look at http://www.php.net/manual/en/

I've said this in the past.  I just don't think it will happen unless
someone is willing to DO IT.  This is opensource -- you want it?
does it itch that bad?  scratch it.

> I know you all are going to say "it is so well documented" and "join the
mailing list" or "search the mailing list archives" ...    YES I HAVE ...
its time for zope to grow up.

ZOPE is grown up.  I believe most people who dont grok ZOPE usually have two
obstacles they have yet to overcome.

* Python - learn it.  The reason why ZOPE is cool is because of Python. You
may not quite get this yet, but if you learn more about ZOPE, I believe you
will agree.

* ZODB - your in it.  Everything revolves around the ZODB.  They are Python
objects.  Once you go through zope.org/Documentation/Articles ZODB articles,
maybe this will make more sense.

I use to be distressed.  I came to ZOPE w/o major inspection of Python.  I
was a 'DTML guy'.  I learned ZOPE using /manage .  This is really the
assbackwards.  You should learn ZOPE from the Filesystem using Python.  You
would be less distressed., become one with Python faster and immediately be
more appreciative of ZODB.

~runyaga