[ZWeb] Zope.org feedback: Welcome to Zope.org

Kelvin Brown (via www.zope.org) kelbrown@usa.net
Wed, 08 May 2002 23:05:23 -0400

Gentlemen,
    For some reason someone in our Fortune 500 company saw this product and decided it was right for a huge project that we were working on that needed to be shared by people all over the world. It is now a year and a half later and I have been called in to check it out and I must say, the development to this point is a joke. I come from the Microsoft world have implemented a very complex intranet using the entire suite of Microsoft internet tools. I want to be fair but you've got to tell me that this dance between DTML, mySQL and Python cannot be this complicated. And variable passing! Jesus! What we can do in an hour in Microsoft by integrating vbscript, javascript , ado and HTML on ONE PAGE takes DAYS(SOMETIMES WEEKS!) in this environment. Documentation showing real world examples are few and far between, and the ability to dynamically link and exchange data to and from multiple databases(we have one hundred thirty)is totally impossible. Please tell me that I simply do not understand this Ease of Use thing that is supposed to be the selling point of Zope. What am I missing? We've bought every book on Zope, Python and mySQL and yet five seasoned developers are still struggling to do the most mundane tasks. Our folders a laden with numerous objects just to accomplish the simplest task. Is there a real world application out there that we can look at to see how we are supposed to be using this product. Thanks, Kelvin L Brown

This email was generated from the Zope.org feedback form
It was invoked from a link on http://www.zope.org