[ZWeb] DISCUSS: Moving downloads to SourceForge's download manager

Paul Everitt paul@eurozope.org
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 15:34:33 +0100

I believe this subject came up a couple of weeks ago but I can't find
it in the archives.

Sidnei and I were just discussing the web stats for zope.org.  He
noticed that around 50% of the bytes transfered were from two things:
Zope distributions and the PDF of the Zope book (the latter is around
9%).

He and I thought it would be good to revisit the proposal of moving
these items into SourceForge's download manager.  Here are some pros
and cons:

Pros

1) It's good for our customers.  The downloads will be a lot faster,
especially in different regions of the world.

2) It has better uptime (particularly with different systems around the
world).

3) It removes stress from an overstressed situation with zope.org.  I
think we all realize that the more we remove from zope.org's plate the
better chance of success.

4) We will actually get numbers that show how often Zope is being
downloaded.  Hallelujah!

5) We *might* attract some attention by being on the SourceForge
activity percentile radar.

6) The current download pages on zope.org are less friendly, and some
(maybe not many) people will be familiar with the sourceforge interface.

7) The bandwidth costs would go down a LOT (50%), particularly during
spikes (e.g. when a new version of Zope is released).

Cons

1) It's a transition and transitions have costs and disruptions.

2) The new interface might be harder for posting updates.  Though I
doubt it, as the current system is one thousand percent brain damaged.

3) There might be changes with nzo.  (On this, I don't think there's
any *finished* work to significantly improve the way packages are
managed.)

4) Some people might think it looks bad for Zope to not serve up its
own downloads.

Sidnei and I both view this as more pro than con, and are willing to do
the work to investigate the feasibility of this.

--Paul