[ZWeb] Zope.org feedback: Cataloging

Charlie Reiman creiman@kefta.com
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 09:12:18 -0700

Not that my opinion matters much here but I'm for switching to google.

Zope is an application server. It makes it easy(ish) to develop web apps.
Nobody never said nothin' about it being a great searching engine. Google is
a great search engine and not much else. Putting pride aside, it makes good
sense to use the best tools for the job.

Hopefully the Zope catalog/index widgets (sorry, I don't use them so I'm not
too familiar with their names) will be up to speed soon but until they are
matching google's results for usefulness, I see no shame in not using them.

Just as I see it as fine to use Oracle to store my tabular data rather than
ZODB, I see no problem using Google for indexing and searching my documents
rather than Zope products.