[ZWeb] NZO pre-alpha Announcement and Call for volunteers

Sidnei da Silva sidnei@x3ng.com
Sat, 15 Feb 2003 20:12:43 -0200

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 09:50:44PM +0100, Paul Everitt wrote:
| Sidnei da Silva wrote:
| >Greetings from the warm Brazil!
| >
| >Im writing today to let everyone be aware that the pre-alpha of NZO is
| >ready and accessible from http://dev.nzo.zope.org.
| >
| > Im calling it pre-alpha because a lot of last-minute problems
| >appeared when running the last batch of migration, so it isnt ready
| >enough to call it an alpha.
|
| Well done!  We'll all need to have some patience on the first few
| pre-releases.  Migration is going to be a process of discovery.

True. I can say that I felt it on my skin :P

| >Heres the actual state:
| >
| > - All content migrated, except Trackers and UserFolders.
| >
| > - XMLDocuments were migrated to ParsedXML but arent accessible
| > because theres isnt a CMF-aware ParsedXML type.
|
| There shouldn't be that many, right?

No, but some of them look important so I didnt deleted them. I would
like to know if people would be still interested in a CMF-aware
ParsedXML document.

| Does the migration script still report the number of each type?

No, but grep does. Im logging everything to Zope log.

| > - DTML Methods, Page Templates, DTML Documents and Python Methods
| > (eek!) arent accessible through the CMF interface for the same
| > reason.
|
| Page templates?  Uhh, zope.org shouldn't have any of them. :^)

Youre right!

| Previous edicts called for DTML Docs/Methods and Python Methods to be
| rejected (not migrated) if they contained any DTML or other scripting.
|
| Is this still the policy?

I didnt knew about this policy, but yes we can do it this way.

| > - Almost all content in the site is in private state. Im running a
| > script to publish the content in /Members and fix ownership right
| > now. It should take at least another 2 hours to finish.
| >
| >So, what you can do?
| >
| > - You can go to http://dev.nzo.zope.org and log in using your account
| > from zope.org
|
| Done.
|
| > - If your member folder was already fixed, you can see all your old
| > content (and if it wasnt, just wait a few hours and it will be).
| >
| > - If you can see your old content, you can add /manage at the end of
| > the URL for your member folder and access the ZMI.
| >
| > - You can search, create new content, whatever.
|
| Regarding this, what kind of newfangled searching are you using?
| Anything like relevance, etc.?

Well, its just the CMF. And I replaced the indexes for 'Title',
'Description' and 'SearchableText' by ZCTextIndex. I think that
ZCTextIndex does ranking but im not sure. Guido?

| >And now, how I can use your help?
| >
| >  - Many pages in Zope.org, including the frontpage are done in DTML. I
| >  would like to convert a big part of them, if not all to
| >  ZPT+PythonScripts.
|
| This is indeed a good task for people to tackle.  It can be done all
| through-the-web at first, so people don't need to get a server login.
|
| Will people need to have executed the contributor agreement and the
| other thing to help on templates?

No. We are going to do this TTW. In fact I havent discussed this with
Guido, but I think we can give manager access to those that would like
to volunteer.

| >  - Many links are hardcoded to http://www.zope.org or
| >  http://dev.zope.org. Where possible, I would like to get this fixed
| >  either by using relative links or some other approach. Suggestions
| >  are welcome.
|
| Guido once wrote a Python webcrawler.  Maybe it could be adopted to
| perform just this single task?

Dunno. Guido?

| >  - We now have workflow! So, I added a transition called 'obsolete'
| >  which kicks the content into 'obsolete' state, where it is removed
| >  from the catalog. I would like to have people walking around the
| >  site and marking obsolete content so on the next run of the
| >  migration script we can skip those objects.
|
| Can you make this easier by putting a quicklink that appears only for
| managers, so we don't have to do the extra clicking to mark it?

Yes, that can be done. If you dont mind adding to our old friend the collector
(http://collector.zope.org/ZopeOrg) I will do this ASAP.

| >Those are very simple tasks that dont require any skills. Just a
| >little patience and a working mouse :P
| >
| >Another thing: We are using a Plone-based site. I already did some
| >work on CSS starting from the what Limi did on
| >http://limi.net:8080/nzo so it doesnt look too much like Plone. I
| >would like to hear only suggestions and no 'I hate Plone' emails. No
| >rant should come without a volunteering to fix the issue!
|
| Looks like this plea has already been overlooked. :^(

I prefer not to comment. I should have put written at the
beggining of the email. :'(

[]'s
--
Sidnei da Silva (dreamcatcher) <sidnei@x3ng.com.br>
X3ng Web Technology <http://www.x3ng.com.br>

Save yourself from the 'Gates' of hell, use Linux."  -- like that one.
	-- The_Kind @ LinuxNet