[ZWeb] NZO / Plone / etc

george donnelly list@zettai.net
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 13:59:47 -0500

[Alexander Limi wrote (limi@plone.org) on 2/20/03 1:23 PM]

> 1) Parsing a javascript file does not "slow things down" any more than
> parsing a CSS file. If you do stupid stuff, like looping - sure. But then
> it's the developer's fault, not Javascript.

your first statement indicates that you agree JS slow things down, doesn't
it?

My fav browser (IE5.x Mac, admittedly not a propular browser) consistently
hangs on plone javascripts. This is the (admittedly non-scientific) basis
for my repeated statements about Plone's javascript slowing things down.

If you have to parse the html and the css and you have to use (slower) Page
Templates, then why add the js on there as well, when its not strictly
necessary? Speed is an important consideration.

Let's take a look at it from a different POV: is there any situation on
Zope.org where we really *need* to use Javascript? Shouldn't this be the
defining question?

<-->
george donnelly - http://zettai.net/ - "We Love Newbies" :)
Zope Hosting - Dynamic Website Design - Search Engine Promotion
Yahoo, AIM: zettainet - ICQ: 51907738 - e:george@zettai.net