[ZWeb] Zope.org and New zope.org status

R. David Murray rdmurray+dated+1043182257.5959ca@bitdance.com
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:50:57 -0500

Anyy McKay wrote;
>Guido van Rossum wrote:
>> Rob has offered NZO the use of a commercial ZC product for managing
>> large sets of users.  This is still under construction, but it will be
>> ready soon.  Until then we can use a vanilla user folder (CZO does
>> that, so it's not unbearable to use that approach a little longer,
>> right?).

>Oh great, thanks. There are several other options like exUserFolder
>which can use LDAP etc.

I can't tell if Andy is being sarcastic here or not <grin>.
I'm appreciative of Zope Corp offering this, but...

In the reverse of the stated ZC concern over using Plone, my reaction
to this is, "but if we use a ZC commercial product, then we are
stuck waiting for ZC to fix it if something goes wrong.  I'd rather
we use an Open Source product the community can fix/enhance at
need..."

I understand the support concern expressed with regards to Plone,
but maybe discusion of the user product should be included in the
plone discussion.  After all, this ZC product is actually less well
tested code than, say, exUserFolder is right now...

--RDM