[ZWeb] http://zope.org/Documentation/Guides/

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Sun Aug 22 07:34:47 EDT 2004

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> I thought I fixed the performance problem.  Seriously.  Page don't load slowly
> for me any more.  What specifically is slow?  The home page in particular is
> cached; the response time measures at 25-50 ms.

It's totally erratic. Just after I read this mail, I tried in IE and
Mozilla, auth and unauth, and all was as quick as you suggest.
Now, and hour or two later, I just tried reloading the IE window I'd
left there and after 20-30s I got bored counting. I WAS logged in, but
I've had the same behaviour when not logged in.

It seem the servers just go through periods of total lockup. Once, I
went and top'ed around on them all. They all looked okay, app1 was the
bussiest with the two python processes each chewing away about 30-40%
CPU and a load average of over 1.

I have two hypopthesis:

1. Some search engine or other spider is ocassionally crawling some
non-cached and very CPU intensive pages.

2. Something silly has happened that's left each of the clients on app1
in single-threaded mode, so more than two simultaneous requests just get
blocked.

How do we go about eliminating these two?

FWIW, I'm not sure how useful it really is to cache a site that should
be as dynamic as Zope.org tothe extent we appear to have to to make it
work fast enough. To me, it feels like there's something fundamentally
wrong somewhere given that the load doesn't seem THAT high, and the site
seems to be erratically crippled rather than generally bogged down :-/

Anything I can do to help, just lemme know...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk