[ZWeb] ZCatalog Issues

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Tue Jul 13 09:00:41 EDT 2004

--On Dienstag, 13. Juli 2004 8:39 Uhr -0400 Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:

> Reindexing time increases pretty dramtically with catalog size.
> For better or worse, I don't think it has ever been a priority
> to make reindexing an entire catalog happen without the browser
> timing out. One reason for this is that this is generally a very
> infrequent operation.  It ought to be possible to rebuild indexes
> separately, but I don't know if we ever did this.

We have a  CMS with several mounted partitions containing up to 400k objects
each indexed with a catalog on each parition. To reindex parts of the
zcatalog
(e.g. after changing some index settings) I usually start a ZEO client
and reindex from the console using catalog.manage_reindexIndex(someindx).
The real problem is that you never know what is happening ..for this reasons
I added some code so you can see how documents have been reindexed and how
much are in the queue. Using subtransaction + progress informations is a
reasonable
way to maintain large catalogs without having the feeling that  your
instance might
explode at any time.

Andreas