[ZWeb] Wiki spammer problem needs to be addressed ;(

Brian Lloyd brian at zope.com
Tue Nov 30 11:06:00 EST 2004

Hi all -

It appears we have a problem with spammers replacing Wiki pages
on zope.org - there also seems to be a fair amount of comment
spam :(

http://zope.org/search?b_start:int=10&SearchableText=iacaqa

This one person has defaced ~170 wiki pages so far.

Zope.org has always had a fairly trusting policy regarding
membership and rights. Unfortunately we need to come up with
something better to prevent this sort of thing.

An idea (brainstorming here) would be to change the membership
policy to require that members be 'sponsored' or approved by a
current member. In the short term, we might also want to create
a special role for editing wiki pages and remove that right from
'Member' until the membership policy change is in place. That
might help prevent more wiki pages from being defaced in the
short term while inconveniencing the smallest number of people
(who could ask to be granted the wiki editing right in the
interim).

The pages currently defaced can be recovered using history -
we need to work that out too, but it seems like a moot point
until we have something in place to deal with the key problem.

Thoughts?

Brian Lloyd        brian at zope.com
V.P. Engineering   540.361.1716
Zope Corporation   http://www.zope.com