[ZWeb] Zope.org - take 3?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Jan 24 05:23:38 EST 2005

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
> which I understand. The biggest problem that creates is a leadership
> vacuum and any efforts would soon peter out in a flood of discussions
> from a whole lot of more or less well-meaning people. It cannot work
> without a tightly organized *small* group of developers that can work
> without interference from the community at large. That's how things get
> done.

OK, I'll bite ;-)

I would be happy to head up this effort, and I'm prepared to commit 1
day a week for both February and March to working on Zope.org and
managing the effort of those prepared to help. All I ask in return would
be authority from someone who can grant it to yes/no things that I'm
helping with (to avoid endless discussions that go nowhere) and the
right to produce a case study of the project for my company's website.
Who's in a positon to say yes or no to these requests?

Anyway, that aside, what I'd propose is:

1. A small, tightly focussed project

2. Keep the look, feel and functionality aimed for to be identical to
what's there now (hopefully eradicating the myriad of pointless
ramblings that side tracked the NZO effort)

3. Totally focussed on software, NOT content.

4. Aim at building the site with as simply as possible, using no fancy
new software, and sticking to the absolute bare minimum to make it work
fast. If fanciness is needed, let it be in error reporting and site
logging domain, rather than "cool new features".

5. Have an SVN checkout of the instance home of the storage server and
each of the app clients (the client would probably be branched off a
common base, with only the config files being different) so that people
can checkout the software on a local machine and develop stuff using the
usual branch-and-merge model.

6. Enable all "system" software (eg: python, zope, cmf) to be easily
upgraded as needed, so the latest bugfixes can be used as soon as possbible.

7. (maybe) a functional test suite that actually tests all the
functional aspects we're aiming to support. Does anyone have lots of
experience producing functional test suites?

Okay, what do people think?

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk