[ZWeb] Request for comment - zope.org commercial news

George Donnelly george at zettai.net
Sat Mar 12 16:38:13 EST 2005

On 2004-10-25 19:03:22 -0500, Michael Haubenwallner <michael at d2m.at> said:

> There is a problem with zope.org news that come from a commercial
> background - especially from the "Zope hosting provider" group.
> I am not sure all parties agree on publishing/announcing policy we
> discussed here lately.
> I would like to ask ML members and the respective hosting providers
> (Zettai, Beehive, Nidelven, Zopehosting, Python-hosting, Quintagroup)
> for another round of statements on the topic and suggest to write up a
> 'commercial news policy'.

Sorry for the late reply. I stopped reading this list out of
frustration about a year back.

I have posted some commercial announcements going back awhile. I have
tried to limit them to what i could consider truly
interesting/unique/significant things/developments for certain groups
of zope people, to post very infrequently and to not go overboard with
marketing-speak.

You could ban entirely commercial postings, but i don't see the point
and i see nothing wrong with infrequent and matter-of-fact styled
commercial postings. The community also includes people who make money
with zope, which is a good thing.

Perhaps there can be some style guidelines and limits on posting, say a
company can only post once every 3-6 months.

hope this is useful.