[ZWeb] Re: website design discussion

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Mon Aug 28 09:14:10 EDT 2006

Lennart Regebro wrote:
> On 8/28/06, Martijn Faassen <faassen at infrae.com> wrote:
>> * I get text flowing into each other in the sidebar. "About The
>> Foundation" overlaps whatever is on the next line, with the word
>> "Foundation" on the next line. There's another such instance lower down,
>> where it says "Foundation..Projects?" (can't read).
>>
>> This is on firefox 1.5 on linux.
>
> Hmm. Me too. But Firefox 1.5 on Windows work fine.

Interesting.

> I'll leave my comments, even though I'm protesting against this kind
> of design by comittee. :-)

Hm. In the end once I'm happy with the design, and I am very close to
being happy, we'll proceed from there, unless someone can convince me
otherwise. I use my special Zope Foundation powers here. :) That said, I
think feedback from a range of people can be useful.

> I'd prefer  a top row of top categories, and a left-column of
> subcategories when it comes to navigaton.

Yes, this is actually, I think, the same as my feedback, effectively. A
top row of major categories, similar to the menu in version 3, without
the dropdowns, with a sidebar of categories too.

> I don't mind leaving space at all. In fact, on a wide-screen sreen,
> not doing that makes the text have extremely long lines, which is hard
> to read. Of course, this should not be decided by margin-sizes,
> instead it should be the min content column that has a fixed sixe.

Right, while some margins would be all right with me too, the version 3
layout has *smaller* margins on at least my screen, and I was looking to
replicate some of that structure in the new version.

Regards,

Martijn