[ZWeb] zope web status report 2006-02-06

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Thu Feb 9 05:22:19 EST 2006

Mark Pratt wrote:
[snip]
>> If the idea is to deliver the message that Zope 3 is great,  clutting
>> the message with Zope 2 cruft (not the same as if we have  some really
>> great zope 2 documentation, but what's there has rotted  quite a bit)
>> is not likely to help. Maybe we can (and should) get  there too, but
>> let's not bite off more than we can chew the first  iteration. The
>> *worst* thing we can do is launch a new site that  has all the old
>> sites' problems. :)
>

> As attractive the idea may be of everyone switching to Zope 3 right
> away -- it is essential that the thousands of Zope 2.x server out  their
> still receive some kind of documentation support.
>
> So while it may be true that the documentation is out of date -- this
> should then be a priority to do a "final" update of the 2.x docs and
> then focus on all things Zope 3.
>
> Legacy Zope apps are going to be around for the next 3 to 10 years.

I've tried to write the 'brochure' content of the new zope.org to
include both Zope 2 and Zope 3 in a coherent story. I think this can be
done - review the text already there. My idea is to deliver the message
that Zope is great. It comes in two flavors and they're both great.

Besides brochure-style information, I'm less confident about presenting
up to date documentation on Zope 2, however. If we get people to edit
the Zope 2 documentation for inclusion, then I'm all for it. I have my
doubts that we'll get enough community interest in doing so however, but
I'd love to be wrong about that.

The resulting website will depend on whether we get people do the
editing necessary.

Regards,

Martijn