[ZWeb] Zope 2 web site

Andrew Sawyers andrew at sawdog.com
Mon Mar 6 09:56:29 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 02:06 -0800, Martin Aspeli wrote:

> Chris Withers wrote:
> >
> > Martin Aspeli wrote:
> >> I have no way of judging whether that's a valid comparison, without
> >> knowing how
> >> much maintenance zope.org will see
> >
> > Assume zero, that's all it's ever received in the past...
This is not true.

> Would you ever expect a customer's site to live with zero maintenance
> indefinitely? Perhaps if it was less of a pain to maintain and the
> contributor agreement and other red tape didn't make it so hard to
> volunteer, someone would be able to spend a few hours a month making sure
> the site is alive.
Hopefully the bar is decreased to contribute.

> >> plone.org doesn't see much continuous maintenance.
> >
> > So it doesn't get upgraded when there's a Plone release?
> >

> Yes it does. Which means that if zope.org didn't deviate too much from the
> plone.org setup (i.e. it didn't do anything crazy and unsupported) it would
> likely migrate just as easily as plone.org itself (which would be the first
> test anyway).
In the future, zope.org (will) migrate easily.  Before I left ZC, I went
into the plone channel asking for assistance, and when it was learned
the version of Plone we were on, there was little encouragement for any
sensible migration.  That said, it doesn't matter today.  Today zope.org
sucks and we're working to fix that.

> >> What complexity would you get rid of exactly?
zope.org shouldn't have membership - people should not be able to dump
crap on it which can easily bit-rot.  That said, there should be a site
for people to use as a sandbox or playground, but where the 'front site'
for the technology comes in, it should be limited in scope to promoting
the software, providing excellent docs, software (zope.org CVS only) and
promoting the Zope Vision.  Anything that does not directly contribute
to this is not necessary and should go.

Andrew