[ZWeb] V3 Updated

Tonico Strasser contact_tonico at yahoo.de
Thu Mar 23 13:48:18 EST 2006

Tom Von Lahndorff schrieb:

>>> See Mike D.'s comments on that article which pretty  much sums up my
>>> rationale and implementation.
>>
>> Still not convinced, but that's just me. We don't have such a deep
>> structure or information density, I would simply put a context
>> navigation on the left (or right) for each section but not on the
>> homepage, like on this two pages:
>>
>> <http://www.mozilla.org/support/>
>> <http://www.mozilla.org/about/>
>>
>> Very simple.
>
> Not really. Just the opposite actually, confusing. My design is
> certainly more "simple" than mozilla's. Inconsistent page layout. I like
> sites that have a consistent layout throughout, including the homepage.
> It's confusing when the navigation changes on a page by page basis. In
> my case there's no scheme that the user has to *get*.

I agree that the consistency is a hight priority (nevertheless I find
mozilla.org pretty user friendly).

I also think a *visible* 2nd level navigation is very important for
orientation. Maybe we agree on the basic question of a random visitor on
a Web site:

A) Where am I?

B) Where do I come from (or how did I come here)?

C) Where can I go from here?

To answer B the page must either have a navigation system in which the
context is obvious, or at least a breadcrumb navigation trail.

If you have a visible 2nd (and maybe 3rd) level navigation the fly out
menus become redundant. Note: I'm not saying that the navigation must
change on different sections or that the fly out menus must be disabled
to achieve this.

Tonico