[ZWeb] DNS still fishy?

Justizin justizin at siggraph.org
Thu Oct 12 12:47:28 EDT 2006

On 10/12/06, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/12/06, Justizin <justizin at siggraph.org> wrote:
> > It could cause problems, and that's why we aren't really using eight
> > servers right now, but it should not cause problems.
>
> Servers should not fail. This should not cause problems. But in
> reality, it will.

Servers failing will not cause problems, the only real risk would be tampering.

The reason for having many servers is to protect against failure.

> > It is a
> > challenge, also, that our DNS is not hosted in the same location as
> > the website.  So, it's possible that DNS will be unreachable when an
> > outage occurs, i.e. a fibre being cut in the middle of the ocean, and
> > this outage may not actually affect our site.
>
> Which is why one or two backups on another continent is nice to have.

"Three or more" is best.

> > > Don't overcomplicate things. It just makes them fail.
> >
> > This assumption really has nothing to do with what happened this week.
>
> I'm not convinced.

Then take over, Lennart.  I do not care.

You don't have to be convinced.  Explain to me how this problem is
related to the outage, which was as simple as this:

  records served by three of five nameservers were incorrect.  the
other two were zope.com nameservers, and they don't delegate to
zoneedit afaik.

> > So, if you want to only use two nameservers, that's okay with me.
>
> Please respons to what I write, and argue against what I argue,
> instead of making up arguments against things I have never said. I,
> explicitly in my last mail, said that one or two backups on other
> continents would be necssary, but that the previously mentioned
> *eight* backups would cause more problems than they solve.

You said you don't understand why we don't just use zoneedit.

What makes four servers less failure prone than eight, so long as they
all agree that zoneedit is in charge.

> If you don't agree with this, you are welcome to explain to me why.
> But do NOT argue against me by implying that I have said something
> stupid, which I never said.

Oh whatever.

Look, I'm sick of this conversation.  I did a better job than anyone
else in the conversation would have, and problems happened because we
spent a week on something that we should have spent 2-4 weeks on.  We
learned something.

I think the real issue is that we ran into a problem, which I tried
hard to avoid, and people are still arguing that I am proposing to
take too many precautions.

--
Justizin, Independent Interactivity Architect
ACM SIGGRAPH SysMgr, Reporter