Zope.org DNS ( was Re: [ZWeb] http://namespaces.zope.org/zope )

Andrew Sawyers andrew at sawdog.com
Tue Sep 26 11:21:45 EDT 2006

On 9/26/06 11:10 AM, "Jens Vagelpohl" <jens at dataflake.org> wrote:

> On 26 Sep 2006, at 17:02, Andrew Sawyers wrote:
>
>> We can use someone like zoneedit.com for the primary, and then have
>> a bunch
>> of secondaries.....I'm sure there's lots of us who could do
>> secondary dns
>> for this.  I've used zoneedit for several years now - flawlessly.
>> First 5
>> domains are free - so that shouldn't be a problem.
>
> Hey Andrew, learn bottom-posting please!
>
> I haven't worked with zoneedit, but would volunteer a secondary DNS
> setup on one of my boxes.
>
> DNS changes should be very tightly regulated and the group of people
> who can make them should be very small since DNS is a very important
> wheel in the machinery which can break all other services if not
> handled correctly. I don't think it is important to have some "newbie-
> friendly" tool.
>
> jens

This has nothing to do with a newbie friendly tool - but a third party to be
the primary, so that a single person isn't the 'owner' of this - so those
with appropriate access can manage this.  I'm sure all of us on the list
understand the importance of DNS and it's reliability.  Since it's free and
been around for years, I thought it was worthy of looking at for the group.

Andrew