[ZWeb] http://namespaces.zope.org/zope

Justizin justizin at siggraph.org
Wed Sep 27 12:10:35 EDT 2006

On 9/27/06, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> Justizin wrote:
> > Perhaps I am making a wild and sweeping assumption here, but I think
> > that Chris is talking about the DNS servers which are controlled by
> > software the team I worked on at Rackspace was responsible for, and
> > look like ns.rackspace.com. ;)
>
> Yep, so you're responsible for that crappy ui?
> Dotster's wins for ease of use so far...

Not personally, but I will take the hit. ;)

Actually, the UI that I worked on was AJAX before AJAX had a name, and
was primarily directed toward employees.

The tools were all written when the company was very young, and, eh,
yeh, they have not been rewritten.

Let's simply say that I felt rather strongly that we should have moved
to Zope, and we didn't, so I don't work on that PHP anymore.  It was
an interesting project, however.

> > So, I'm actually curious if they have implemented a feature which was
> > not high priority when I worked there, and that is the ability to
> > configure their nameservers as slaves.
>
> Don't think so, it's just that I can "host dns" there for stuff that
> isn't hosted on their servers.
>
> I'd hope their nameservers are also pretty robust?

When I left, I believe NS and NS2 were both load balanced clusters of
three large machines, which probably sit behind PrevenTier, a patented
DoS-aversion system, now.  They may also have moved onto geographic
load balancing.  I wouldn't really know.

> > Tom - do you know if Rackspace's nameservers are capable of serving up
> > a slave copy of a zone which is managed at ZoneEdit.com?
>
> When I wrote that email, I was actually proposing hosting the masters
> there. I don't mind being "DNS boy" for zope.org and I'd hope
> rackspace's nameservers would scale to the challenge...

If you want to do that, I don't object to losing Czar status. ;)

I am concerned that we can't easily allow a team of people who aren't
on your private customer account access to do this.  I'm already
concerned that with my ZoneEdit account I can't give anyone else
access, and was going to propose opening a Zope Foundation account
which several people could have access to.

That said, concern raised, what do Martijin and others think?

We could still slave to Rack's nameservers.

> > We'd like to
> > de-centralize the zope.org zone so that no one individual or
> > organization such as Zope Corp are responsible for / in control of it.
>
> If I ever did stop doing Zope stuff (hahahaha) then I'd happilly hand
> the records on to someone else.

But of course, or the foundation would steal them back. :-P

--
Justizin, Independent Interactivity Architect
ACM SIGGRAPH SysMgr, Reporter