[Zope] - NetScape Publishing - error 501 not supported

Amos Latteier amos@aracnet.com
Mon, 07 Dec 1998 17:42:08 -0800

At 07:47 PM 12/7/98 -0500, you wrote:
>On Sun, 6 Dec 1998, David Warman wrote:
>
>> Using the built-in server on port 8080, Python 1.5.1, NetScape
Communicator 4.5, RHL Linux 5.1
>> When I Publish from Composer (on my Windows 98 machine), I get error
501: server does not support this operation, and the operation
>> named is "do_PUT". NetScape does not have an option
>> to change this operation name to "PUT"
>
>I'm using about the same setup (except I'm publishing from a Linux
>machine) and can reproduce the problem. ZopeHTTPServer is based on the
>standard Python BaseHTTPServer/SimpleHTTPServer classes, which implement
>HTTP function x as do_x. I.e., when it receives a GET, it tries to execute
>a do_GET method. In this case, it's getting a PUT, trying a do_PUT, and
>failing, since do_PUT isn't defeined. And it seems like it should be
>defined. Amos is listed as the author...

Yes, I am, and yes it's true, ZopeHTTPServer.py doesn't yet support PUT.
I'll try to get in for the next release, which I believe is due in a week.
It shouldn't be too hard, this is Python after all :-)

-Amos