[Zope] - Re: ExtensionClass/__of__ credit

Jim Fulton jim@Digicool.com
Tue, 08 Dec 1998 15:34:00 +0000

"Phillip J. Eby" wrote:

> Hey Jim, I'm in the midst of writing a paper on ASDF, and I want to
> properly credit the invention of the '__of__' protocol and its
> ExtensionClass implementation.  I'm in the middle of a section where I'm
> explaining how __of__ plus wrappers is the world's simplest (and coolest)
> meta-object protocol for implementing acquisition, inheritance, and
> method-to-instance binding.
>
> Currently I am referring to it as:
>
> "a simple, yet powerful dynamic binding technique invented by computer
> scientist Jim Fulton (Digital Creations' Technical Director)"
>
> Is this correct?

If you are looking for a reference I would use some think like:

"The __of__ protocol was proposed by Jim Fulton and implemented
 in the ExtensionClass system [Fulton 96x]

 [Fulton 96x] Fulton, James L., Extension Classes, Python Extension
 Types Become Classes,
 http://www.digicool.com/releases/ExtensionClass/ExtensionClass.html,
 1996.

I happen to agree with you that __of__ an extremely useful protocol
that is a natural extension of Python's method mechanism.  I feel
as though I've been a lone voice in the wilderness advocating it.

Are you a member of the types-sig,
http://www.python.org/sigs/types-sig/
?  That would be a good place to champion __of__.
I think there's been some relevant discussion there, but I've been
to busy with Zope to pay attention. :(

Jim

Technical Director   (540) 371-6909              Python Powered!

repeats.