[Zope] - How do I publish this object?

James Strickland James Strickland <james@perforce.com>
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 10:22:45 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Michel Pelletier wrote:
> 	It's quite easy.  [60 lines of Python expunged]

Thank you for the help, but...this must be some new definition of the word
"easy" with which I was previously unfamiliar. :-)

Further questions spring to mind:
a) where do you stick this file - lib/python/Products/Cal/Cal.py, along
   with __init__.py etc a la other directories under lib/python/Products ?
b) how do you add it to Zope?  Under Control Panel I see Products, and
   from there I can add a product, for whatever that's worth.  Now I see a
   menu which allows you to add "Principia Factory", ... "External
   Method", "Mail Host".  At this point I'm completely lost... (if it's
   an External Method then where is Zope looking for the Python module
   file?  If it isn't an external method, what is it?  What's a Principia
   Factory?)
c) once you've done that, how do you create an object instance?  Does your
   new class just get added to the list of things you can "Add"?
d) how do you test the product you're working on?  e.g. change its
   definition and have that reflected in Zope
e) are the naming conventions documented anywhere?
f) how are products distributed?  A tar file of lib/python/Products/yourproductname?

Is there any documentation on all of this or are we just supposed to wade
through all the source code and guess?  Maybe I'm just missing the
wonderful "Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Creating Products"
tutorial...if not, is something of this sort in the works?

--
James Strickland
Perforce Software