[Zope] - database transfer

Christopher G. Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 13:22:22 -0500

On Tue, Dec 08, 1998 at 06:09:46PM +0000, Jim Fulton wrote:

> I think that this is a different beast.  We have plans for essentially
> "client-server" support for the Z Object Datrabase, initially by hosting
> the object database in an RDBMS.  This would not really solve the problem
> that started this thread.  David wanted to be able to do development on a
> machine that has a very slow (or, reading between the lines, intermittent)
> connection to the production server.  In a client-server model, the development
> server would be hampered by a slow connection to the database server.

Also, as performance becomes more and more important, it's going to be
necessary also to perhaps use seperate databases for
production/development, not to mention for reliability.  I know this
isn't a problem yet, but certainly it could be very soon with a
successful implementation.  I know we always ran seperate versions of
Oracle for test/development (for other reasons too) on seperate
machines, even though "slow conections" werent' the issue.

Even if you could show that it shouldn't be a concern, it is how people
do things, and they aren't want to change :-)

Chris