[Zope] - Alternate authentication mechanisms

Brian Lloyd Brian@digicool.com
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 11:12:16 -0500

> Hello all,
>
> I'm evaluating the use of Zope in some of our intranet projects.
> One thing that would be extremely helpful in selling the idea
> (even to myself)
> would be if authentication could tie into our existing LDAP
> authentication systems.
>
> I apologize for not having looked at the code yet, but a
> quick answer would
> be beneficial.  How feasible would it be to move Zope
> authentication from flat files
> to other authentication databases (LDAP, NIS, etc.)?
>
> I would be willing to contribute to this kind of effort if it
> seems like a good idea
> in the world of Zope.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Chad Fowler
> cfowler@fedex.com

This is certainly possible. Note that Zope does not use flat files
for authentication - it uses objects ;) This makes it relatively
simple to devise new objects which draw authentication info from
other sources.

We have created variations on the standard Zope "UserFolder" object
(the standard built-in auth. object) which get their authentication
info from sql databases, the host operating system, etc.

I think it is certainly a good idea and that others would find
such a thing useful.

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909