[Zope] - Zope running with Apache

John Eikenberry jae@taos.kavi.com
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 12:31:37 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Vincent Yau wrote:

> Here are the steps that I did:
>
> -- copy the mod_rewrite directives from the instruction to httpd.conf

I assume you also restarted apache.

> -- copy the <Location> directive to authenticate /cgi-bin/Zope
> -- create the password file with htpasswd
> -- copy the Zope.cgi to the appropriate /cgi-bin directory
>
> I am hoping to run Zope with Apache on regular port 80
> and so I restart httpd
> and try
>
>    http://mymachine/cgi-bin/Zope/manage
>
> I did get the authenticate box, and I got thru
> and the browser runs for about 15 secs
> and then I got a resource unavailable
> (102) fail to connect error.
>
> The page seems to be generated by Zope.
> I wonder if there is something else that I need to fire up
> on the Zope side.  I dug thru the help files, no mention of anything.

Make sure apache has write permission to the Zope 'var/' directory. Apache
runs as the user 'nobody' by default. For testing purposes, just make the
Zope var directory world writable (chmod 777 var) and give it another try.

Just as a general rule of thumb, the '102 fail to connect' errors are
often caused by permission problems such as this. They should be the first
thing you check after receiving this error.

---

John Eikenberry
[jae@taos.kavi.com - http://taos.kavi.com/~jae/]
 will deserve neither and lose both."