[Zope] - NT/Apache problems

Brian Lloyd Brian@digicool.com
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:23:06 -0500

> Hi there,
>
> I'm trying to get Zope (latest binary release for win32) working on
> Windows NT, using Apache 1.3.3.
>
> When trying to get to Zope with the URL:
>
> http://localhost/cgi-bin/Zope.exe/manage
>
> I get the following message:
>
> The resource you requested is temporarily unavailable -
> please try again
> later.
>
> So I wander over to the troubleshooting guide on the Zope web
> page, and
> happily find this error is mentioned. Unfortunately, the text there
> applies to Unix mostly (which I'm unfortunately not able to
> use for this
> project), and doesn't seem to help with my NT problem.
>
> When I go to the Services, Zope is in the listing. It isn't Started,
> though, and when I try to start it it gives the following error:
>
> Error 0002: The system cannot find the file specified.
>
> I'm assuming the Zope.exe in the cgi-bin dir tries to start the Zope
> service when first called, but it fails, and this produces the Service
> not available message?

No, you need to start the service manually. The error you are getting in
your browser is reasonable - it is complaining that it cant connect to
the service. Not surprising, since it doesn't want to start for you ;)

> As adviced by the troubleshooting doc, I looked at the source of this
> page for info on the error. Here it is:
>
> Pipe connect failed
>
> The troubleshooting doc mentioned trying to start the file
> pcgifile.py to test things. This file doesn't appear to be included by
> the Win32 binary installation of Zope (nor the subdir Util under pcgi
> the doc mentions it should be in).

We need to clarify the docs on this -- pcgi is not yet bundled with
Zope for NT.

> The doc says this:
>
> On Windows NT platforms, check the event log under "Application
> Log" for error information.
>
> I'm a new to NT and Zope, and I couldn't find this. Where can I find
> Application Log?

The Application Log is a part of the NT Event Log. On NT, go to
Start | Help and look up "Event Viewer" for more info. Services
on win32 can log errors (or other things) to the event log.

When you attempted to start the Zope service, it should have made
an entry in the "Application Log" portion of the NT event log, which
should include the error that you mentioned above *and* a python
traceback -- I'll need to see what the traceback says to help you
figure out what's going on.

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909