[Zope] - Virtual servers

Anthony Baxter anthony@interlink.com.au
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 09:31:47 +1100

Dave Goodrich wrote:
> It was not that long ago people said "Internet Information Server will
> never have the market share of Apache".

and according to http://www.netcraft.co.uk/survey, they're still
right - Dec 98: Apache 53.78% (+0.76%), IIS 23.68% (+0.26%). IIS
is gaining usage share, but Apache's gaining it faster.

> But there are also those of us who do not have a customer base on
> Apache, I'm interested in using Zope to build a web application,
> I don't need Apache, I'm here because of Zope's built in server
> and I'd like to see the server abilities extended as well as Zopes
> other assets.

Sure, but think of it in terms of "the work that helps the greatest
number" - work on Zope itself will help everyone who uses it, while
work on ZopeHTTPServer will only benefit those who run it under that.
While that's not to say "don't work on ZopeHTTPServer at all", it
could be considered to be a lower priority item.

And as others have noted, getting all of HTTP/1.1 right is _hard_.

--
Anthony Baxter, NextTelecom.
email:anthony@interlink.com.au, voice: +61 416 271 170