[Zope] - Z Publisher + Musi-Cal

skip@calendar.com (Skip Montanaro) skip@calendar.com (Skip Montanaro)
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 12:16:51 -0500

I wrote a Z Publisher (nee Bobo) module that replaces the CGI script
interface to Musi-Cal's database server.  It's available for playing/testing
at

    http://www.automatrix.com/~skip/z.html

This is a straightforward adaptation of the general search interface
available at

    http://concerts.calendar.com/search.shtml

If you try it out and encounter any problems, let me know.  BOBO_DEBUG_MODE
is set, so any tracebacks generated will be visible.  This is a test-only
interface, so please don't publicize it outside of the Zope/Bobo community.

Performance is fairly impressive.  Comparing the following two URLs:

    http://concerts.calendar.com/cgi-bin/event-search?city=Albany,+NY&keywords=acoustic
    http://concerts.calendar.com:8080/search?city=Albany,+NY&keywords=acoustic

the CGI version averaged 2.6 seconds for ten runs while the Z version
averaged 0.6 seconds.  The two obvious places to look for the time
differences are elimination of the CGI startup time and the performance
boost from the new DocumentTemplate code (critical parts written in C and
the long-running process's ability to reuse the parsed template).

Any questions, comments or bug reports, let me know.

Skip Montanaro	   | Mojam: "Uniting the World of Music" http://www.mojam.com/
skip@calendar.com  | Musi-Cal: http://concerts.calendar.com/
518-372-5583