[Zope] Unable to get manage scree ... looping on contacting host

Bill Anderson banderson@boi.hp.com
Tue, 06 Apr 1999 15:22:39 +0000

Michel Pelletier wrote:

> [...]

Latest Download.

> When you say without apache do you mean ZopeHTTPServer or ZServer?

ZopeHTTPServer. I guess I am waiting for Python 1.5.2 and WebDAV before
running Zserver ;-)

> Have you tried it from a different browser?

Funny thing ... installed vmware to run windows on for the purpose of
cross-browser issues and forgot all about it!

> Does Netscape hang while the server loops or does the browser loop with
> it (meaning can you see it doing this or is Netscape just looking dumb).

Netscape's status bar kept flashing 'contacting host' 'downloading data'
'done' ... repeat.

> It's hard for me to believe that this is a server isolated problem,
> there must be some kind of browser interaction involved here.

Well, I had cleared the cache, memory and disk, just to be sure. No
effect. After exiting the browser for a bit, it seems to have resolved
itsself. Apparently the infamous netscape secret cache had struck. it
appears to me that The server was asking for authentication, and the
browser was returning something the server was unhappy anout, so it
challenged the browser again ... and again.

Which reminds me ... it would be nice if I could set  some sort of time
limit on authorizations, or a way to log out of the management screens.
Quite annoying to have to kill the browser to log in as another user
(for verification, etc.), or to make sure no-one else is able to get in.
Is there somewhere this can be done that I am missing?

--
Bill Anderson 					Linux Administrator
MCS-Boise (ARC)					banderson@boi.hp.com