[Zope] Re: Web Server configuration

Emmanuel Dwamena dwamenae@gco.apana.org.au
Wed, 07 Apr 1999 13:11:57 +1000

Dear sir,
I have install zope 1.10.2-win32-x86 on Windows NT Server 4.0 with
service pack 3. The installation was successful. But I cannot configure
the existing webserver - IIS 3.0 - to work with the zope management
screen. I understand that there are 3 ways to get the zope management
screen up. Which are

1. To run the start.bat in the zope installation directory which opens a
dos windows and runs a process in the background. This is the method I
have been able to get working since installation a week ago. It seems to
work fine. What I do is point the URL to http://localhost:9673/manage
and it works.

2. Start the Zope web server through the Window NT services utility in
the control panel. I can start and stop the Zope web server as NT
service but the web browser does not load the management screen.
This is what I did:
I used Zope12 as the web site name in my installation.
So I copied Zope12.exe from the Zope installation directory into
C:\InetPub\wwwroot\cgi-bin which is the path used by IIS 3.0 on my NT
machine. Then I start Zope web server via NT service. After that I
started Netscape web browser. Then point the URL in the web browser to
http://localhost:9889/cgi-bin/zope12.exe/manage and it does NOT work. I
thought the Zope web server will find the zope manager in the cgi-bin
directory. But No it failed.
What is the suggested solution in this case?

3. Configure an existing web server which in my case is IIS 3.0 on NT
4.0.
This is what I did: same as 2 above
I copied Zope12.exe, which is the program generated for the web site
name I used in the installation, from the Zope installation directory
into C:\InetPub\wwwroot\cgi-bin which is the path used by IIS 3.0 on my
NT machine. Then I pointed the URL to
http://ntserver:9889/cgi-bin/manage and it also NEVER worked. "NTSERVER"
is my Windows NT Server 4.0 computer name.
What am I doing wrong?
I could use the first option but I like to be able to use all the
options so I can provide services to users and clients under any of the
above situations.
Also I like to know if,
a) I can run more than one web server  i.e IIS web server and the Zope
web server as NT services at the same time?
b) I can get the Zope management screen up using the IIS or Zope web
server when the 2 web servers are running at the same time as NT
services?

Also in the Zope managers guide I am trying my hands on the Plutonia
tutorial. When I added a document it added only DTML document and not
html document as indicated in the manual.
When I used the index_html as id for the document I got the error
message "id already exist". How do I go around the error message or fix
the duplication.
Also I noticed that the management screen has one extra menu item Import
which is not shown in the manual. Is there an update to the manual?
I like to hear from you very soon.
Regards
Emmanuel