[Zope] Zope on FreeBSD

Goodrichs nbd95@macconnect.com
Wed, 21 Apr 1999 22:30:11 -0700

Well, we decided to move into FreeBSD from Slackware recently and am quite
happy with it. I read evyones suggestions on building Zope on FreeBSD and
then dived in. Happily I made it work, here's the lowdown for those
interested.

I tried several things, some worked some didn't. This worked perfectly for
me twice.

FreeBSD v 3.0 release 0,  Walnut Creek dist.
Zope 1.10.2 source
ZServer 1.0a2
Python 1.5.2 release source.

This was into a standard dist install of FreeBSD with no X, a bare server
type install. The only extras I installed were Bind, Sendmail, and Expect.

*****begin

untar the python dist
cd into Python-1.5.2/Modules
copy Setup.in  to Setup
edit Setup uncommenting the line  #*shared*
cd up to the top of the Python distribution directory
run  ./configure --with-thread
ignore errors

untar the Zope dist into /usr/local
edit do.py
change the line do('make') to read do('make -k')
run python wo_pcgi.py

Zope should now start normally with the included start file.

(No, I didn't try w_pcgi.py, don't have Apache..)
I use ZServer and it worked as advertised with the normal "ZOPE_HOME"
change to the start.py script.

Cool.......

DAve.