[Zope] [off topic] question?

Jeff Bauer jeffbauer@bigfoot.com
Sat, 24 Apr 1999 08:21:59 -0500

Hannu Krosing wrote:
> Hermann Himmelbauer wrote:
> > What I would like to see is a plugin for Netscape/IE
> > that enables the webbrowser to run Python applets,

> It was done some years ago, but it never became
> very popular.

I've got a working version of a Python plugin that
we're cautiously testing with a few clients.

Christian Tismer is also doing some work along
these lines, and I'm comparing notes with him before
releasing anything.

I'm using the plugin to launch a Python process
that runs outside the browser, i.e. a wxPython GUI
application.  NPPython.dll downloads Python code
pointed to by the URL and executes it.  This is
probably not what a most programmers have in mind
when they think Netscape/Python/Plugin/Applet, but
it's more stable (though less secure) since many
programs seem likely to cause the browser to crash.

Best regards,

Jeff Bauer
Rubicon, Inc.