[Zope] ZServer ftp problem, when not running as root

Amos Latteier amos@aracnet.com
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 13:11:08 -0700

At 02:11 PM 4/28/99 +0200, Christian wrote:
>Hello zopies,
>
>It seems that if zope/zserver is not running as root, the ftp
>functionality is not working.

Can you be more specific? Does it work correctly when run as root?

If ZServer works differently depending on the uid it is run as there is a
good chance that the problem is with the ownership of the var directory and
its contents. The uid that the server is run as must have write permissions
on the var directory and all files in the var directory.

>This means, that uploaded files all have
>length 0 or 144 bytes, depending on the version of zope.

Is this the only problem you are experiencing, or are there other problems?

>This also appears in the current (4/28) public cvs code.
>Is there a permission problem and has anyone discovered a similiar
>drawback?

I haven't heard of this kind of problem before, so I'd love a complete bug
report. With enough information I may be able to help you solve this problem.

Could you please file a report in the Collector and include information
about what platform you are using, what version of Zope, what version of
ZServer you are using, and how you have configured ZServer. It would also
be useful to have an detailed list of what goes wrong, and under what
circumstances.

Thanks a lot!

-Amos

P.S. The Collector is at http://www.zope.org/Collector/