[Zope] Zope and Editors

Stephan Richter SRichter@ixl.com
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 09:43:40 -0500

> > But here my question:
> > I do not want to use a HTML textarea to edit my code. I prefer to use emacs.
> > How do you use external editors with Zope? Do you import files all the time?
> > Or do you copy and paste? Both of these solutions are not desirable, since
> > I check my code every few minutes. I would spend more time uploading to the
> > system.
>
> couple of options here (hmm, these should be pulled out of the email
> archive and turned into a HOWTO - no, don't look at me :)
> (note that I talk zero credit (or blame) for any of the following ideas)
>
> * Zope allows you to ftp in and upload DTML and images and the like.
>   emacs allows you to edit files on a remote ftp filesystem, using
>   EFS (?) (someone who uses this please give me a sample of emacs syntax?)
>   You could also use any other form of ftp browser/text browser that allows
>   you to transparently edit remote files via ftp - I'd be suprised if
>   KDE or GNOME didn't have this.

Oh, now I know what you mean. I forgot that zope opens an FTP client at 8021 by
default. :) (I am still new to the product.)

> * Zope has Webdav support - does emacs? IE5 does (well, if you read the
>   zope-checkins list and see Brian's commit messages, IE5 sorta has
>   webdav support)
>
> * Netscape's HTML textarea widget has some limited number of emacs
>   keybindings. This is what I use, because I hate the full emacs with
>   a passion. If mozilla allowed me to embed nvi (the OneTrueVi) into
>   a html textarea widget, I'd be a happy bunny :)
>
> * You could write something that let you edit text files, and batch
>   uploaded (either via ftp, or via the Zope Client interface) the
>   files.

Thanks for the ideas. Zope is on the same machine I develop on. So if I could
find the directory the files reside, I could save them directly there.
The problem: I could not find the files. Do the method, objects and documents
reside in a DB or the file system?

stephan
--
Stephan Richter