[Zope] External Methods

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 20:55:58 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Jens Vagelpohl <tommymi@concentric.net>
To: SRichter@ixl.com <SRichter@ixl.com>; zope@zope.org <zope@zope.org>
Date: Tuesday, August 03, 1999 8:12 PM
Subject: RE: [Zope] External Methods

>of course this friend and i have discussed this quite often and we kid each
>other about what our favorite products can and can't do. in terms of the
>ability to use real programming, like zope, he says he doesn't want to get
>into it, or even shouldn't have to. for him it's the ability to present a
>winning design and do some point and click to connect to the database. time
>is money. i on the other hand love that programming stuff and can't stop
>having new and neat ideas about what to program.
>
>i think cold fusion and zope have a much-different philosophy. it's really
>hard to compare the two.

IMHO, CF and Zope are ultimately trying to accomplish the same thing: get
your application going on the web quickly. But, they've had different
features added at different times. They both have database connectivity and
a markup language in common. Zope has the object database, which CF does
not. CF has more GUI tools.

Will Zope have GUI tools? I think so. It's just a matter of time before
WebDAV clients get up to speed, and the new DTML syntax is a lot more
editor-friendly. (Just imagine when they add WebDAV to Dreamweaver :)

Personally, if I were starting an app today I'd go with Zope. (In fact, I
*was* starting an app a few months back and decided to go with Zope). I
think Zope, in the long run, will amount to easier to support and extend
apps.

If Zope weren't around, I'd probably opt for PHP 4.0 over CF at this point,
as well...

I'm not trying to start an app server war, mind you. Just wanted to point
out that I think Zope and CF are indeed going for the same thing in the
end...

Kevin