[Zope] ZServer vs. Apache

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@digicool.com
Wed, 04 Aug 1999 17:56:19 -0400

> Hi all,
>
> I'm still in the stage of trying to get the "big picture" of Zope. I still
> don't quite understand the relationship between ZServer and Apache.
>
> Is it either ZServer *or* Apache or can they work together?

Yes :-)

> Would anyone care to provide a short summary of this concept. Thanks.

Put simply, ZServer is a interface to the object publisher in Zope. It can
understand a myriad of protocols:

    * HTTP (and WebDAV)
    * FTP
    * PCGI
    * Monitor access

So if you're running a 100% Zope site (like www.zope.org :-) then you could
put ZServer up as the main server, and it'd probably be a LOT faster (2-3x
probably a good point to estimate, because of the overhead of CGI).  If
however, you're using something in combination with Zope, then you'll want
to use Apache (or IIS, or Netscape) to integrate this all together.

Make sense?

Chris