[Zope] The new DTML syntax

Alexander Staubo alex@mop.no
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 22:50:35 +0200

[snip]

>Thus, polluting the HTML namespace with custom DTML tags is against the
>grain.  The prepended "dtml-" imitates the XHTML mechanism of
>specifying
>namespaces.

Erhm. You _are_ polluting the HTML namespace, Paul. The "dtml-" prefix
is in no way XML-compliant. It isn't even "almost" compliant. Just
adding a hyphen does not make it cleaner.

>Please feel free to explain to the W3C that their concept of
>modularization goes against the way the brain works, and that one big
>global namespace is the right thing to do.

I happen to agree with the W3C, although I concede that the "only one
namespace at a time" rule isn't particularly good on the fingertips. It
means that -- at least, if I got this right -- once we go for XML
namespaces to distinguish DTML elements, we'll either be using a dtml:
prefix or an html: prefix, depending on much typing we'll be inclined to
do. Either that, or specifying the whole namespace URI for every tag.
(Not bloody likely.)

>> I'm not surprised that DC dominates the negatively-charged end of the
>
>Please explain the "not surprised".  Do you feel in some way that we've
>followed a pattern of being closed-minded?

With all respect, I wasn't talking about closed-mindedness, rather about
conservativeness, and Christopher's Petrilli comment about it being too
late to make any changes. As Jeff Bauer points out, even open-source
development isn't really democratic.

>Do others in the community feel that we've been stifling input?

(Note that I didn't say you were stifling input. There's a huge
difference between stifling input, and ignoring it. ;)

[...]
>In summary, you've brought up a number of interesting and valid points,
>as have many others in this thread on both sides of the
>argument.  Sound
>judgement is the art of sorting through both the reasoned as
>well as the
>confrontational arguments and making the best decision.

Define "confrontational arguments". :)

--
Alexander Staubo             http://www.mop.no/~alex/
"Elvis skipped around the car and threw open the trunk.