[Zope] Zope Projects

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Sun, 08 Aug 1999 11:47:23 -0500

At 08:51 PM 8/7/99 -0400, Jeffrey Perry wrote:
>It seems to me that Zope could use a few more toolkits.
>
>The zope portal kit is in progress, with Zcatalog for indexing etc.
>I have read in the back archives that there is a Zcommerce project and
>another individual who has created a cybercash kit.
>
>It seems to me that a Zope Intranet kit would be a hole in this suite that
>could use filling. Squishdot could be the conferencing component. To this
>could be added an employee database using mysql (with
>photo,email,department,cube location, and phone info), A trouble reporting
>sytem for computer problems, and a bug tracking sytem for use by companies
>which produce software products....etc I think squishdot could be enhanced a
>bit and turn into a fine web-based project center for storing all items
>related to a project (think Notes)
>
>Any other ideas?

Meeting and Project objects, which index their dates in a ZCatalog so that
team-wide calendars can be displayed.  Schedule objects, which belong to
people, meeting rooms, A/V equipment, etc., to which Reservation objects
can be added so long as they don't conflict.  TimeRecords which can be
added to Projects to track billable or other hours by users.  'Link'
objects which combine a URL with a description and perhaps are also
classified by Category objects, which can also be used to classify
KnowledgeItems.

Need I go further?  :)

Personally I would not put the user info in MySQL, but in the ZODB, and
allow for feeding/updating ZODB data from external sources including LDAP.
I would also like to create WorkflowRequests, WorkflowDefinitions, and a
few other related items.

>Is their any interest in this?

Yes.  I hope to put some of the people on my team to work on some of this
during this month.  One of the big questions in my mind, however, is how
much overlap this all will have with the ZPT, at least in the area of
membership management.