[Zope] What's the default database connection status at Zope startup?

Ross J. Reedstrom reedstrm@wallace.ece.rice.edu
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 09:56:09 -0500

On Wed, Aug 11, 1999 at 06:46:08AM +0000, Constantin Teodorescu wrote:
> I have different Z PyGreSQL database connection objects.
>
> What will be the default connection status when I'll start Zope (at boot
> process).
> Should the connections be opened manually?
> If yes, is there a "startup folder" like object?
> Are they opened by Zope when a client access a Z SQL method at the first
> time?
> The connections are opened just one for the Zope server or one per
> client?

Constantin -
You're just going to push me into spending all my nights working on
the ZPyGeSQLDA, aren't you? ;-) Currently, the DA opens a connection on
startup of Zope, and keeps it open until shutdown. It's not particulary
smart about restarting a connection that's died, either. Right now, you'll
get a single connection to the DB, with multiple clients serializing
through the transaction manager in Zope (that's the Level 2 vs. Level
3 stuff you may have seen discussed earlier) in fact, all your Postgres
DB connection objects will serialize. Yes, this needs to improve a lot
before it's usable for a busy web site.

> I'm asking those questions because I intend to build an Intranet with
> 20-30 users that will heavily use a PostgreSQL server.
> I have searched the ZSQL documentation and didn't find any clue. Maybe
> that kind of questions would find a better place in a FAQ.

Hmm, looks like there's _still_ no search capability on the list archives
at http://www.zope.org/pipermail/zope/ (hint hint... )

So, look for the posts by Christopher Petrilli with a subject "Status
of DAs" in the July archives. Oh, it's on the zope.org site, as well:

http://www.zope.org/Information/DARoadmap

The thread in the mailing list still contains a little more info, I think.

As to ZPyGreSQLDA status - I'll spend some time on it again this evening,
then a big chunk this weekend. It's more a matter of groking what's in
there for the Zope Transaction Manager than a lot of code to write. Having
the ZSybaseDA to compare with should help.

Ross

NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer