[Zope] Help! How would I use Oracle for persistence?

Bradford Hull brad@tera.com
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 10:50:36 -0700

I'm trying to evaluate Zope for use in our scattering of projects, and it's
been maddeningly delightful.  I see a design with wonderful cleanness and
simplicity, yet complete coverage for all we need to do.  The one problem I
have is that old standard Unix problem: all the documentation assumes you
already have the specifics you need from some other unspecified, and in
this case nonexistent, document.

After days of digging through every available document and the archives of
this list, I realized that it should be possible to store stuff in a
database if I can figure out a handful of things I can't seem to glean from
the documentation:

1) Where do I put the python files to use in an External Method?  Here, the
documentation offers a couple of highly ambiguous hints (Put them in the
Extensions directory of your Zope directory, which directory you may have
to create.  OK, that narrows it down to maybe a dozen that this term could
refer to.  Or an Extensions directory under your product (lib/python/
Products/<myProduct>/Extensions) - now that's the least ambiguous one, but
I can't help suspecting there's a key fact or 60 being left out here...
Since most of the rest of the documentation assumes you already know almost
everything you need, and refrains from 'repeating' it.

2) Can an External Method, or more to the point, an Extension, get at other
Zope objects?  If so, I can use the Oracle connection I put in my folder
and which is obligingly open.  If so, how?  This doesn't come up in any of
the examples.

Answers to these two may let me do some trivial prototyping so I can find
out if this thing is as wonderful as it looks.  I assume it must be,
because everybody keeps making sense in their praise of this obviously
wonderful design.  I'll be willing to accept the idea that I'm a fool not
to use Bobo, too, but I still need these answers to stand a chance either
way.

I'll be delighted to help make documentation improvements, because if it is
this great, it deserves to be useable by everybody.  Frankly, the
documentation as it stands is great marketing material, but maddening if you
want to insert and update data in a database, or indeed add/update data at
all.
--
Bradford K. Hull  | **> Never let a computer see you hurry. <**
brad@tera.com     |                                  Bradford K. Hull