[Zope] Newbie question: Directory for publishing Python modules?

Mike Fletcher mcfletch@vrtelecom.com
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 04:21:45 -0400

I'm an olden-days Bobo user who's looking at maybe using Zope for a research
project.  I downloaded the latest sources, read the faqs, the discussion
list archives, the WebSite, the online documentation etc.  I have been
tracing through the modules call by call trying to figure out this simple
question for about 5 hours now.  It seems that there's an assumption I'm
missing, and some piece of magic I have not yet found:

	What path is used to determine the list of callable modules under Zope +
ZServer?  It isn't the Pythonpath returned from the medusa monitor
(thank-goodness, that has every python source tree on my computer).  It
doesn't _appear_ to be anything inside the Zope directory tree (I don't see
anything that would make sense as a root publishing directory).  When I
debug-print the code, I find that publish_module doesn't seem to get called
for the modules I'm passing as arguments (though "Zope" does get passed).

More prosaically:

	 Where do I put my python modules to get them published in the root
namespace?

With the old Bobo, I was just putting the modules in my web-server's cgi-bin
directory (with a wrapper). Nothing in the documentation suggests where the
equivalent directory would be for Zope. I've already figured out how to
replace the XML RPC with a high-performance multiple-query binary connection
(which I had thought was going to be most of the work this evening, but took
only about 10 minutes), but this ridiculously simple task has stopped me
cold.

Well, hints appreciated, I would rather not have to write my own object
database, access control managers etc. because of such a silly problem.
Mike
   M i k e   C .  F l e t c h e r

       mcfletch@vrtelecom.com

        Designer, Researcher