[Zope] Q: KM|News, Squishdot or roll your own Zclasses (and future compatibility)

Joshua Brauer joshua@brauer.org
Tue, 17 Aug 1999 11:17:16 -0600

> >NOw, there are a couple of promising alpha products out there
> >(Squishdot and KM|News) that both do some of the things I want to.
> >
> >I'm afraid I'm not so adept at Python as to start combining them
> >myself, so I have to choose either or for my task. The third
> >possibility would do it all by DTML and roll my own Zclasses to
> >represent different article classes (this *looks* straightforward
> >enough).

I just went through this (with www.mountainwest.org). My problem lay in wanting to do some different things with Dates and structures as well as using content (based on which categories it is in) on several sites. What I ended up with is a modified version of KM|News. The modifications are easy since it is a Zclass product. (For example I copied item_html to item_new_html so items would be redered as I liked. I ran into a few problems if an item lacked top_image so I added a top_image property to my table (leaving it blank) and all works well.  So basically I have KM|News functionality with a site design and ease of change similar to Squishdot.

As an aside: www.mountainwest.org is really a MountainWest subfolder of my main site setup. Zcatalog seems to have trouble with the multiple /MountainWest/MountainWest/MountainWest that occurs when one accesses www.mountainwest.org/manage. Zcatalog adds new entries for each the items with the repeating folder path on them. It then sees two items with the smae name/properties but different folders. Don't know if this is a bug per se or one of the side effects of this access setup.

Joshua Brauer

                                    # # #

Joshua Brauer                                         Box 915
http://www.brauer.org                          Fort Collins, CO 80522
Fax: (419) 793-4120
In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are
usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks.
          -- Wilbur Wright in a letter to his father, September 1900