[Zope] DTML Documents vs. Methods--Again? Yikes!

Tim Wilson wilson@chemsun.chem.umn.edu
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 10:18:31 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Rik Hoekstra wrote:

Hi Rik. Thanks for your help.

> The difference in behaviour make DTML Methods most useful for separated DTML
> code (such as a reusable tree or index) to be included in other documents.
> Thus if you have a folder with both DTML Methods and DTML Documents, where
> the DTML Documents contain the content and the DTML Methods only code, you
> can create a folder index which only lists contents by creating a DTML
> Method (called 'index' or something) which lists only DTML Documents.

So, for example, if I create a navigation header to be used in a number of
pages, a DTML Method would be the ticket, right? It still seems to me that
if DTML Documents are more flexible with their ability to have properties,
why would you need DTML Methods? I understand some of what you've written
above, and I suspect that it explains why DTML Methods are so useful. I'll
study it more.

What's the typical DTML Document/DTML Method ratio?

Also, is it possible to convert a DTML Document to a Method? How about
vice versa?

-Tim

--
Timothy Wilson       | "The faster you  |  Check out:
Henry Sibley H.S.    |  go, the shorter | http://slashdot.org/