[Zope] a funny thing happened today...

Tony McDonald tony.mcdonald@ncl.ac.uk
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 08:33:44 +0100

At 10:38 am +0200 23/8/99, Martijn Faassen wrote:

>> I've been watching the XML-L and XML-DEV lists for, oh 18 months now.
>> There have been announcements of rendering XML into HTML etc on the
>> fly, yes. But the solutions offered have always been too clunky for
>> me (talk of XSL and Java servlets and *much* more arcane stuff flew
>> around and through the list and my head for many moons).
>
>I know next to nothing about XSL and Java servlets. I'd like to study
>XSL sometime, is it really that arcane? I read something about DC going
>to fit XSL into Zope, so I'm curious about it.

I initially got turned off by some of the pontificating on the XML
lists (discussions of XSL, XSLT, XSL FOs - just seemed too complex to
me). It seemed to me like people were investigating things from a
research angle and not from an implementation viewpoint (which is ok,
but I wanted implementations).

Having said that, recent posts on XML-DEV, imply that things may be
simpler than I thought - I won't post the example I *did* have, as
this is a Zope list, not an XML list! :). That, along with the fact
that the XMLDocument product works well and DC have mentioned
something about XSL too, is pretty good news. I wouldn't expect
anything big to happen in that arena until Zope 2.1 is out (before
people go looking, Zope 2.1 *does not exist*, DC have said they are
feature freezing 2.0 and making it stable, before embarking on new
functionality).

tone.
------
Dr Tony McDonald,  FMCC, Networked Learning Environments Project
http://nle.ncl.ac.uk/
The Medical School, Newcastle University Tel: +44 191 222 5888
Fingerprint: 3450 876D FA41 B926 D3DD  F8C3 F2D0 C3B9 8B38 18A2